Merlin is the global rights agency representing the world’s most important independent music companies. The organisation acts to ensure its members have effective access to new and emerging revenue streams and that their rights are appropriately valued and protected.
These members comprise over 14,000 independent record labels and distributors, representing some of the world’s most important independent artists, including:
- The xx, The National, Vampire Weekend (Beggars Group)
- Tom Waits, Bad Religion, Wilco (Epitaph Records)
- Arcade Fire, She & Him (Merge)
- DJ Khaled, Jim Jones (E1)
- Animal Collective, Arctic Monkeys (Domino)
- Prodigy, Marilyn Manson (Cooking Vinyl)
- Chuck Prophet, Josh Rouse (Yep Roc Records)
- Kid Koala, Amon Tobin (Ninja Tune)
- Bob Sinclar (Tommy Boy)
- Grizzly Bear, Boards of Canada, (Warp Records)
- Ani Difranco (Righteous Babe)
- Sharon van Etten, Bon Iver (Secretly Canadian)
- Hercules and Love Affair, Space Cadets (K7)
- Dan Zanes, Sonny Landreth (Virtual Label)
- First Aid Kit, Billy Bragg (Redeye Distribution)
Merlin’s members command around a 10% share of the global and US music market.
Since commencing operations in May 2008, Merlin has struck deals with a wide variety of digital services including Spotify, YouTube, Google Music, Rdio and Deezer and reached a number of copyright infringement settlements on behalf of its members with, amongst others, Limewire, XM Satellite Radio and Grooveshark.
A list of Merlin’s board members and further information on Merlin is available at: http://www.merlinnetwork.org/board/